Friday, January 28, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah

So, as you have probably guessed, there isn't much new or exciting going on for us. We work all week, run to St. George for a temple session and a night in the condo, back home on Saturday night, and Sundays in meetings and doing or various church jobs. Monday morning, more of the same.

That having been said, or lives are happy, and we are content. Bubby has her projects (knitting, crocheting, quilting) and I have bass fishing and golf to look forward to. For example, Bubby is participating in a quilting conference this weekend and I just received a big box from Bass Pro Shops that will prepare me for the upcoming spring fishing season. I'll spend the time she is in session on Saturday morning "playing" with my new stuff.

We are both enjoying our work in the ward and with our neighbors. In fact, one of the unforeseen pleasures associated with my new calling is the opportunity to visit in the homes of high priests and single sisters in my charge. We visit every Tuesday night, and I find, despite myself, I look forward to getting to know these wonderful people a little better.

I'll share an experience from this week. We went to visit a former home teacher, a man named "Tink" who owned a very successful business in town and recently retired. We had a very pleasant visit, and I didn't think much about it. The next evening, as we were working together in the kitchen to get dinner on the table, I got a phone call from Tink. He wanted to offer an apology related to our visit the previous night. Evidently, he and his wife had noticed a strange odor in the house that they could not track down. When the appointment was made for our visit, he said to his wife, "I am not sure I want to entertain the HP Group Leadership while that smell lingers." His wife had cleaned out the freezer about the time the smell started, and he kept thinking that the events were linked, but they looked and looked for a frozen food that had not found its way back into the freezer with no luck.

After our visit, he was embarrassed by the smell, so he and his wife redoubled their efforts to track it down. Sure enough, they found a small cooler, over which a box had been inadvertently placed to hide it from view. The cooler contained about 15 lbs of meat had been left out of the newly cleaned freezer and spoiling for a couple of weeks.

When he told me what they had found, and offered his apology, I told him not to be concerned. During another time in my life, my sense of smell had been quite keen, but as I have aged, my sense of smell is not quite as acute. My assistant that night, who is a septuagenarian, hadn't noticed either.

I pointed out that the cooler would probably bear the smell for quite awhile, and he admitted they had taken the entire package and placed it in their garbage can. That should provide a treat for the landfill operator who sees the cooler, decides that it might be worth owning and takes it home to wash out!

Buboppy

No comments: