Monday, May 18, 2009

Settling In



We spent Thursday settling in, and then on Friday, we headed southwest to Cape Naturaliste and the little tourist hamlet of Dunsborough. Johanna and Larry had found a vacation home for us to rent and stayed Friday night through Monday morning. The first night, the next door neighbors were having a very loud, drunken party at 2:30 AM which woke us all. Bubby and I didn't have any trouble going back to sleep, but Larry and Johanna weren't so lucky. While they slept in a little, Bubby and I went on a scenic beach walk located the newsagent and made a stop in the local bakery for a cheese and bacon bun (yummy). Here is Bubby sitting on a park bench in beautiful Dunsborough.



One of my favorite of the birds of Australia are the gallahs. That's them in the gray plumage and the pink chests. I was able to get close enough to them for this photo.



We did the tourist thing all day long, including a trip to Yallingup and Smith Beach. I got these photos of surfers while we were there.



I also got a nice photo of these four men surf casting. I am not sure what they were fishing for, but we had fun taking their photo.



Bubby was loving seeing the roos in the wild. It was sure fun for us all. When we came to Aus a few years ago, we never saw kangas in the wild. To see this many in one location was a real treat.



The big find of the day was kangaroos in the wild. We were looking for a bakery and took a wrong turn that lead us to about 100 kangaroos in three separate mobs. I did use my long lense, but I could have hit this one with a rock.



Bubby started whistling at the kangas and they got pretty nervous. This one finally took off, so we were able to watch him motate. It was a fitting end to a wonderful day. We spent that evening playing hand and foot with Larry and J, and they did manage to win the championship of the universe, a title I was happy to give up.

Buboppy

1 comment:

Sarah Wells said...

Good to see you are still around. We were worried. I showed Katie and Lydia the photos of the Kangaroos and Katie said,"kkk Kangaroo that starts with me, Katie!"