Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Where did our summer go?

No photos to post, but I thought I would just muse a little at the expense of our readers. As we slide, inexorably, into fall and the inevitable winter that follows, I am forced to realize, again, that the older I get, the faster time seems to slip by. Summer in Cedar City is my favorite season. It never seemed to end when we first moved here in 1995, but this summer just flew by and now the year is practically over. We are unable to protect our garden from the nightly freeze, even though the it is really in its productive prime.

There were certainly some highlights this summer, some that will live in our memories for a long time. Our days together at the Jasper Eves family reunion in Birdseye, were certainly the high point of the summer. It was so fun to all be together and loving the opportunity. I hope we can do it again.

Of course it was great to travel in May, but as Bubby is so fond of pointing out, that trip was so long ago, it almost seems a distant memory. I guess that is the other side of getting old and dealing with passing time. Events of the recent past fade ever more quickly into the distance.

Enough. No need to get maudlin. We are enjoying the change in the season. We have been looking forward to tomorrow's trip to Texas for many months now. Bubby can't wait to hang out with Leo, and to visit the Orvis clothing outlet located there. Neither of us can wait to see the kids. I am sure there will be lots of photos and postings from our adventures there.

Most of our readers now know that I was selected to permanently fill the Dean position (College of Science) here at SUU. There was a national search, lots of interviews, and it was quite a process We are all glad that it is over. My first official day on the job was October 1st. The permanent position brings new challenges, new opportunities, and nice raise, and much more. I cannot help but feel gratitude for the opportunity to serve the University that I love in this position and to "leave my mark" on the organization I have devoted a large part of my life to, first as a student, and then as an employee. I also see this as evidence of the hand of a loving Heavenly Father in our lives. I have felt his guiding influence many times through the process, as I have mentioned before.

Buboppy

1 comment:

Laurie said...

We can't wait to see you tomorrow!