Monday, January 11, 2010

One Week Down, 14 to go!

Actually, I swore years ago that I would not set the pattern of tracking the progress of the semester. It seemed too much like wishing one's life away. As I move into the later years of my academic career, I surely don't want to wish it away. Truth is, the first week was very busy. Lots of problems to solve and issues to resolve. Most of them involve students who lack the basic forward-thinking skills necessary to be successful in both higher education and life. Anyway, I am hoping things will settle down a little this week.

What has made this week extra busy is that Bubby and I are trying to make plans to turn the condo over and get it ready to turn into a B & B. We did get to see a sort of cute movie on Friday afternoon (I slipped away a little early so we could make a 4:05 showing). Check out "Leap Year". We enjoyed it. We even had dinner at the Ninja afterward.

On Saturday, we rose early and were in the Temple for the 6:40 session. Bubby likes to go and get that out of the way. We did a repeat following the Temple and had our breakfast at Harmons. They do have good bagels. Most of our readers know that my favorite breakfast is a bagel and big old DC. We finalized the carpet installation with Designer Furniture Gallery, and paid our 50% deposit. The carpet should be ordered. We opted for a medium brownish color that will be quite neutral, although I still like the green.

We stopped down to talk to the folks at Furniture Row, and made sure that the distressed dining room set (big discount) was still available. Bubby had seen a bed she liked (mission style) and we talked. It ended up that they had one that with minor shipping damage, so we closed the deal on both. Then we drove out to Kayenta and bought a mattress and box springs set. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me until the next morning that the bed was a standard king, but the mattress set is a California king, so we may have to rethink the mattress purchase.



We stopped and saw Jana and her kids at Auntie Nells, and Jodie was also there. I have included this photo that Bubby took. Not the best, but the best of the two she took. Our apologies to the subjects. Sam looks great.

We also stopped and talked to cousin Paul who has agreed to remove the old carpet early this week. If that takes place, we will be able to paint this weekend, and then things will be ready for carpet when it arrives.

Sunday was busy, but good. I taught the second Old Testament lesson-Foreordination. It turned out pretty well. I ended up with this quote from Elder Oaks which does a good job of explaining why agency was the only real option for a Heavenly Father who loves his children.

"A parable illustrates this understanding. A wealthy father knew that if he were to bestow his wealth upon a child who had not yet developed the needed wisdom and stature, the inheritance would probably be wasted. The father said to his child:

"“All that I have I desire to give you—not only my wealth, but also my position and standing among men. That which I have I can easily give you, but that which I am you must obtain for yourself. You will qualify for your inheritance by learning what I have learned and by living as I have lived. I will give you the laws and principles by which I have acquired my wisdom and stature. Follow my example, mastering as I have mastered, and you will become as I am, and all that I have will be yours.” (Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, Nov. 2000, p. 32)

"Lucifer’s plan would have given us what the Father had, but it would never have made us what the Father is. That could only happen with moral agency."

There was quite a bit of interest in the quote.

Daniel and Rosalyn and the kids came to dinner. Bubby and I have been craving an oriental noodle salad. We tried a recipe off of the Food Network, and it turned out pretty good. I grilled some Yoshida's marinated chicken tenders to go with it, and of course (for Drewfy) there was good bread from Harmons.

Bubby had a meeting at 4:00 PM, so we put off dessert until after the meeting. Daniel and Rosalyn baked a chocolate cake with a frosting so rich that it was like Christmas fudge. Daniel and I went to stake general priesthood meeting together.

Bubby and I walked this morning. It was cool, but we enjoyed it. She is swimming this morning. And another week begins . . .

Buboppy

No comments: