Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lunch with the Sisters in Sunny St. George


When Daniel came to Cedar City for his interview, he brought with him a painting that needed to be returned to St. George and Uncle Roland. Trisha was dying to get out of the snow and cold and so she fabricated a lunch date with her sisters on the pretense of delivering the painting. We had a nice lunch of soup (Bubb tried a new wild rice recipe), cornbread, fruit and spinach salads. It was really nice to visit and just relax for a few minutes.

Aunt Barbara had been on a trek to look at new rock art near Barstow (I think), California, so she and I spent a little time looking over her photos (can you see Bubby's finger covering the flash on this one?). This site did have some serious art and she had some great photographs. I am sorry I can't get more details about the location, but we were concentrating on the photos not on how she got there.

Beyond that, our weekend consisted of a good, low key Saturday and a 12 hour Sunday at church, for me. Always glad to go back to work on Monday morning.

We did receive some good news from Daniel last evening. He got a call from the Chair of the Department of Physical Science at SUU offering him the chemistry position he interviewed for last week. He accepted the offer. We are of course very excited for him. I am not sure how the news is being received in Provo. I think SUU may be more his dream than Rosalyn's, although in fairness, we haven't talked about it much. I have been thinking about the economic situation and the effort he has put into his job search. I know he applied to over 14 positions and only got two phone interviews (SUU and NAU in Flagstaff), a sign of the tough economic times. The SUU job resulted in an offer and the NAU position ended up being reduced to something he didn't really want so he withdrew his application. I am very grateful that he has a job offer this year. Obviously, I personally don't think he could do better than SUU to start his career, but that opinion is influenced by my own desire to live in a semi-rural area, a desire that may not be shared by someone who hasn't lived here. I know that Daniel values this institution and its chemistry program (look what it did for him). I just hope that the joys of living in a small Utah community eventually provide the attraction for Rosalyn that they have provided for us.

So philosophical considerations aside, congratulations to Daniel and Rosalyn. As far as I am concerned, they are "living the dream". They left the state of Utah for education, and were able to end up back in the state for employment. That was certainly my dream when I decided higher education would be my career path. Provo is only 2.5 hours away!

Buboppy

4 comments:

xraywells said...

Yea Daniel!!!! We are so proud of you and ultra jealous that you get to live in Cedar City. Hopefully we will be right on your tail.

Sarah

Phil said...

Congrats Dan-o! SUU is lucky to get you.

The picture of Auntie B sharing her hiking pics makes me smile - I always enjoyed the photo flip through after one of her adventures. *sniff* Is that perfume I smell? :)

Rosalyn said...

I should add that we haven't technically accepted the job yet (although that's probably what will happen)!

Jon Lee Family said...

You could always just keep living with your folks in happy valley. Talk about PH-Duh!