Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What is that smell?

While I don't have any photos to post, I can at least tell you all what we are up to. As I write this, I am freezing in my office. It looks like the heat in our building is off, yet again, this morning. They are having some difficulty or other and there have been about half a dozen times this winter when I have arrived to find my floor of the building very frigid. On one of those occasions, I stepped into the restroom (which is on an interior wall) and when I turned on the hot water tap to wash my hands, ice came out into the sink! I have already reported our little problem to the facilities management people, but I doubt anything will happen until after 8:00 AM.

OK, it was your typical week, slightly altered by spring break. One of the differences between my new job and what I have always done is how holidays are handled. I am on an eleven month contract now (instead of a nine (faculty) or ten (department chair) month contract). That means I accrue sick leave, vacation time, and even have non-contract time (for the one month I am not under contract). What this means in practical terms is that I was in the office everyday last week except Friday. I worked about six hours each day and then broke to do other things. Bubby and I saw two movies last week ("Not into you" and "Duplicity"), neither of which I would recommend. I fished in Sand Hollow on Monday and Thursday afternoons. The weather was beautiful, but the water temperature is still below 58°F. I caught two fish on Thursday.

The big news is our home repair projects. Bubby has befriended a man in the ward who is recently divorced. He was thinking about the SWATC's truck driving school and came in to get some information. During their conversation, Bubby asked what he had done in the past for a living (the heat just came on!!!), and he told her he had been installing aluminum siding for a number of years. Bubby and I have been talking about covering up all of the wood on our house with aluminum, so she said, "Why don't you give me a bid some time?" He dropped the bid off last Monday, we met with him on Tuesday, and he ordered the materials on Wednesday. Progress has been slow, but steady (he works alone), but the front and west-side of the house are done now. He hopes to finish everything but the rain gutters (they require special equipment) by Wednesday. It does look nice and the best part is knowing that it is permanent. Power-washing is all that is required to maintain it. Bubby thinks that it makes the house look so much different. She says you probably won't recognize us when you next visit. I am sure you won't drive by without being able to recognize it, however.

We had stake conference this weekend, and it was a treat to sit in the audience and let someone else worry about the program. We even ran up to Annabella and Uncle Roland's 60th birthday party (photos forthcoming). As Auntie Nell has already stated, he is very excited for his iPod touch. Of course it started snowing before we left to come home, so we had to cut our visit short. It was fun to see all of the Lee gang, except our Jana and family. Lots of fun when that clan gets together. So many cute little kids.

We stopped in Parowan on our way, transferred some movies to Uncle Phil's new external hard drive, and loaded up his iPod for the trip to Japan. He is leaving today, I think. I also bought a little external battery/charger for an iPod touch, and sent it with him. We know have one in the family so if you have travel plans and need a spare battery, let me know. I am happy to share.

Monday was a blur, and when I got home, Bubby fed me and I couldn't stay awake. She said I was sleeping so fitfully, and loudly, that she could barely hear the TV program we were "watching". We were in bed by 9:30, and off on our walk by 4:45 AM. It was cold, but beautiful this morning.

All the signs of spring are upon us. I noticed Bubby's tulips pushing up in the planter box, and of course we have the changing weather patterns (snow and then sunshine almost as fast as you can say their names). We love spring in Cedar City! Bubby and I have been sleeping with the patio door open. It always makes us appreciate our down comforter. It also makes us sleep very deeply.

Buboppy

No comments: