Monday, March 30, 2009

WUCC New Mill Opening



Bubby and I had a wonderful bit of serendipity this weekend. After a very busy week, capped off with a trip to the Temple on Thursday and the Southern Utah Science and Engineering Fair, on Friday. I was looking forward to some quiet time at home, but a colleague reminded me that Western Utah Copper Company was hosting an open house and ribbon cutting for their new milling operation. They had invited SUU geology to come, and I felt obliged to participate with my colleagues. I contacted Bubby, thinking I could get a "kitchen pass", but she admitted that she would love to go along, so that was what we did.



This is our tour guide, who happens to be the spouse of one of the ladies Trisha works with.



Because I am a geologist, I have to include a photo of the wall of one of the pits. Nice channel cut, don't you think?

The open house was fun. We got cool souvenir hard hats and Bubby ended up with the safety vest, too. We toured the mine and mill in a big yellow school bus, and generally had an enjoyable time. When we returned to our starting point, there was a lovely meal, catered by Houston's Trails End restaurant in Kanab (some of you will know this is the site for the best chicken fried steak in southern Utah). The luncheon was lovely and bounteous, and we enjoyed the chance to sit and visit with my colleagues. None of them were able to have their spouses join them, so Bubby felt like a princess among a group of rock-jocks.

Having just read Rosalyn's thoughts, and wanting to share some things that I have been thinking about, I am going to wax philosophical for a few paragraphs. Of course, I am a great believer in the "tender mercies" of the Lord. I have witnessed them countless times in my life, including things like being prompted to look at just the right moment when a 4-year old Daniel was going down for the third time at Gunlock reservoir. I am going to share a portion of one of my more recent evidences of the Lord's intervention in my life.

About six years ago, I was unhappy with SUU. We had a President and Provost with whom I was not enjoying working. I had been looking for possible employment in other places, and usually backed out right at the interview stage because Bubby never felt that the options were as good as what we have here in Cedar City. In December of 2003, however, that all changed. BYU-Idaho was looking for a new faculty member with my expertise. I knew the geology faculty there, and recognized an opportunity. Bubby admitted that Rexburg might just be a place she would consider, so I applied. I was selected for an interview, and we were scheduled to make the trip in mid-February of 2004. I had some very positive feelings about my chances.

Some of you will know that all of the above changed with one phone call. On the Saturday night immediately before my scheduled interview, I was called into the CCU 1st Stake Presidency. I notified BYU-Idaho, and they were certainly understanding. Although excited to serve, I could not help the nagging feeling that my professional plans had somehow been put on hold.

What has happened in the intervening five years is, in fact, one of the tenderest mercies I have ever experienced. I loved my service in the CCU 1st Stake. During that service, we lost both the President and Provost with whom I had not enjoyed working. We also lost the dean of my college, and amazingly, I was asked to fill in on an interim basis until a search could be completed. I am convinced that these blessings are a direct result of my willingness to put my professional plans on hold and serve where I had been called. The Lord has blessed me richly because I was willing to accept his will in my life. We haven't seen the end of this particular story yet, and there may be future updates. But I testify that every time I place my trust in a loving Heavenly Father, the richness of the reward is almost incomprehensible. When I advise Matt and Laurie, or Daniel and Rosalyn, to just trust that they will guided to what is best in their lives, that advise comes from a rich set of experiences. Things really do work out, because our Heavenly Father is in-charge, and he loves and cares about every aspect of our lives.

The best thing we can do is be obedient and patient. The blessings will flow.

Buboppy

1 comment:

Rosalyn said...

Poppy--thank you for sharing! I really appreciated reading about your reflections and experiences.