Friday, July 31, 2009

A More Relaxed Week at Home



This has been a more relaxed week at work, even though it included a telephone interview for the Dean's position. On Tuesday morning at 5:00 AM, UP and I headed down to Sand Hollow for his first dose of bass fishing on that reservoir. He caught on to the Senko right away, and this is his first fish on that bait. We had a grand time and caught lots of fish, but none over 2.5 pounds. We were off of the water by 10:00 AM, because it was warming up pretty good. We even stopped at Alberto's in Hurricane on the way home. UP had a mediation in Cedar City, so he showered at our house and went straight to work. I did the same.



On Thursday, my old friend Scott and I made a return run down to Sand Hollow. Scott and I served together in an EQ presidency when Bubby and I lived in Ogden in the early 70's (newly weds, no kids). More recently, Scott was a bishop in the University 1st Stake during my time there. He is an excellent fisherman, and a great friend. We had a great morning. I caught fish on about everything I threw including crank baits. An early morning run down to Hurricane to fish before the sun gets on the water is worth the ungodly hour at which you have to rise.

This particular fish was caught on a "banjo minnow". Scott is a sucker for infomercials about fishing and golfing products. He said that by the time the got his banjo minnows delivered, they cost him about $12 each. He was proud of his first fish caught on that substantial investment. He was also crushed when he lost two of them to the weeds and brush!

I contrast his high dollar approach to my own. I bought three fishing reels last week on 70%-off clearance. Two of them only cost me $12 each, and the expensive one ($49) was originally priced at nearly $200. I have fished with them all already, their certainly worth the money.



These two photos represent an event we have been anticipating all summer. Mr. Leo came for a visit yesterday. He is sooooooo cute and quite the mover and shaker. He was rolling around the living room floor when I arrived home. We played blocks, but not staking cups (I'll do that with him soon). He really gets around and has a keen eye for things he can play with with that he shouldn't. He is a nice big armful, and best of all, he came right to his Poppy and let me hold him. He seems to happy and loves nearly any- and everybody.

He and his Mom arrived in Las Vegas on Tuesday, but it took a couple of days for them to make their way north. Leo has already had his first In-N-Out (a grilled cheese, truly a man after my own heart). He is a man who enjoys his food, so Bubby couldn't wait to get him in her highchair and feed him some peaches.



We are excited to have Leo at home. It is going to be fun for us to be around him a little.

Buboppy

No comments: