Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Phishing


I realize that not all of our faithful readers are going to really care, but this post chronicles a recent trip to Sandhollow reservoir. The first thing you will note is that we were fishing from shore. Yes, the boat took a dump on us. We had just loaded up the gear. Jon Lee, Uncle Rol, and I started outside the launch area when the overheating light and horn came on. After a tense ride back to the dock and a couple of manly looks "under the hood" we decide that water, which cools the engine was not being taken into the system. We loaded the boat back on the trailer and I took it to Rogers Marine, just a couple of miles away and left it for them to work on. They suspect the "impeller" but I am really not sure what that is. Anyway, with the boat in dry dock, I joined Jon and Uncle Roland on the bank.

It was a beautiful, warm, day (as you can see from the photos). However the water temperature is just a few degrees above 50, so the fish were very sluggish. I have been reading about a new fishing technique designed for just the situation we were in, so I tried it. The bait is called a Senko, and it is produced by Gary Yamamoto in Page, AZ. It is a plastic bait, looks like a five inch-long stick, and is fished dead slow. It took me several casts and moves along the bank to get on to it, but it works.

After I caught my second fish Uncle Roland and Jon both rigged up and Uncle Roland caught one, too. Three fish is far fewer than we had hoped for, but alas, we were hungry. We had a late lunch at Alberto's in Hurricane, and called it a day.

If you want the full story, check out Jon Lee's and Uncle Roland's respective blogs.

I think we are all looking forward to a rematch.

Buboppy

No comments: