Saturday, July 19, 2008

Trying to Maintain Some Sense of Balance

As I mentioned, Bubby helped me move my books into the new office last Saturday, but it still took most of the time that I could spare on Monday to finish the job. It has been a week of frustration as I migrate to a new computer, try to restore my iTunes library (I will no longer be using my CubeG4 as a jukebox), restore printing, and a myriad of other computer related tasks, all of which is complicated by an IT technician who hates Macs. All of this is further complicated by the fact that I am teaching accelerated general chemistry and being the Dean at the same time. Because of the Y-generation (lead me, guide me, hold my hand while I work this problem) crowd I am teaching, both activities are full-time! I had to go back to work nearly every night last week just to keep up.

Of course I am doing what I can to maintain sanity. I played early morning golf everyday last week except Friday. Jim Johnson played three times with me. We are loosing daylight so we can't start until after 5:45 now. It won't be long and I won't be able to squeeze it in comfortably before I teach at 8:00 AM. I have been faithfully tending the garden. We ate zucchini and pea pods from our garden this week. These are are first products. There are tomatoes on the vines, flowers on the beans and crook neck squash, and lots of beautiful basil and parsley. Things look really good in the garden. Now if we only had some tomatoes.

Bubby is doing wonderfully well. She has been quilting and scrapbooking this week, and seems very happy. I am glad she allows me to go back to work when I feel stressed. I think it would get old fast if I did too much of it, but so far so good. I am afraid nothing much will change until after August 8th (when summer school ends for me). We are trying to plan a three-day get away after summer school ends but before August 16th (when I have to be back at my desk). Not missing Sundays feels really inconvenient, but I should probably carefully examine those feelings.

On Friday morning, I made my weekly run to Sand Hollow. The moon is full, so the fishing was a little slower than it was the week before. I caught 15-20 fish (down from 25-30 the week before). However, I caught this nice 2.5 pounder on a Senko (can't wait to help Aaron and Booty master this technique). It was a beautiful morning and until the sun got on the water the bite was pretty good.

Just before I moved out into the sun, I caught this nice fish in the shallows. I didn't have a scale, but I am guessing 3.5-4 pounds. He really gave me a battle, diving into the weeds and making me wonder if I was going to see him at all. He finally broke the surface with a mouthful of "salad". I was going to shoot him on the deck of the boat, but he got away before I was able to. It is hard to take photos when you are all alone. I need fishing buddies!

Buboppy

No comments: