Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Break has Come and Gone

This past week was Spring Break. It is my first as the Dean, and certainly different than the ones I have experienced in the past. For one thing, I had various meetings going on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday which meant that it was not much of a break. By Thursday afternoon, I was feeling pretty fed up with it all, so I headed south around 1:00 PM, hooked up to the boat (it is so nice to have it garaged in St. George and out of the weather), and headed to Sand Hollow. The water temp is about 53 °F, so the fishing was very slooooow. I had one bite, and caught one fish while I was drop shotting. I would ordinarily call the outing a bust, but I needed so badly to get out, that I consider it a success.



While I was having a mental health break, Bubb was keeping an eye on Drewfy and Sister so Dan could go to Stake Temple Night. When I got home, Bubby was putting Sister down for the night, and Drewfy was playing lock blocks in the living room. We hung together for a few minutes, and then he went to bed, too. Daniel just came to our house when he got back, and slept in the basement with Drewfy.

We woke up to snow on Friday morning, which needed to be shoveled before Bubb could go for her swim. I had decided not to go to the office on Friday, so I was feeling pretty relaxed about the morning. After a breakfast of ham and scrambled eggs for the kids and the interested adults, we enjoyed a little leisure time. I can't remember what the afternoon activities were, but they included an outing to Pizza Factory with Dan and the kids. Drewfy insisted on his own pizza, with pineapple and ham, but of course couldn't eat it all. It took a little coaxing to get him to share with the Bubb, but he eventually did. Bubb and I ended the evening with a trip to the Centrum to watch the Lady 'Birds wage gymnastic war against Cal State Fullerton. We won easily.

On Saturday, Drewfy and Sister came early so their dad could go pick up the weekly coop basket of produce. We got to video conference with Booty, Laur, and Leego (as he is calling himself). It was fun to talk to them. The highlight was watching Leo take down a Clementine tangerine without any assistance. He eats them like an apple rejecting the peelings as he goes along. What a funny guy. I also finally got my taxes organized enough to turn over to the accountant.

By Saturday night, Bubb was not feeling all that well, for some reason. We did our bit by singing in the ward choir during the adult meeting of Stake Conference, and then we came home and went to bed.

On Sunday, Dan had a 7:30 AM priesthood leadership meeting, so Drewfy and Sister came calling. Bubb woke up under the weather, so while she sat in her blue Lazy Boy, squinting and holding her head, the kids played in the living room. Dan, Sister, and I went to the 10 AM session, and Drewfy stayed home and "took care" of his Bubb (which is what he is calling her these days). I am sure that he enjoyed himself far more than he would have at conference. Sister was delightful at the meeting. She likes to stand in the aisle and dance to the hymns.

We had just enough time to eat a hurried dinner before Drewfy and Dan drove to St. George to pick up Rosalyn from the shuttle. Sister took a nap, and she was so happy to have her mom back when she woke.

It didn't seem like a very eventful weekend, but as I recount it, we did get quite a bit accomplished. We both commented that Dan is a real trooper to take sole custody of his kids for four days. He did really well, and with the exception of a couple of mental health breaks, stayed right in the game. I am not sure I was tough enough to do it when my kids were the ages of Drewfy and Sister. Way to go, Dan.

Buboppy

No comments: