Thursday, April 8, 2010

Aquatic Research

The title of this posting is the euphemism I place in my work calendar when I am planning on slipping away for a little fishing. I have to block out sessions weeks in advance, or things tend to get scheduled over them. My administrative assistant understands the meaning, and tries to respect the times I set aside.



Yesterday afternoon was one of those times. It was a little cool and breezy, but sunny and worth the effort so Bubby and I drove south just as soon as she got off from work. We wheeled the boat out of the garage and during the process it gained a couple of passengers. Here are Babsy's girls with their new haircuts. They were having a fun afternoon in the sun.



Jake was very excited for the outing as you can see. He was ready when I pulled up and spent most of the prep period sitting in the jumper seat in my pickup, ready to get going.



The water temperature is still only about 53°F, so I didn't think much of our chances of catching fish. I got Beany going with a drop shot rig, and Jake was trying to master casting a crappie jib on a spinning rod. I thought I would throw a hula grub, just to amuse myself in between casting lessons, and I got bit! Jake reeled it in, and posed for the photo.



We were drifting across the big flat in the southeast end of the reservoir, a place where we have caught lots of fish in the past, and, wonder of wonders, I hooked a second fish on the hula grub. This one was a little smaller, but Jake enjoyed hauling it in and another photo op.



By now, Aaron is wondering if I gave him the wrong bait. I assured him that the drop shot he was using would be my first choice with the current conditions, but he couldn't get a bite. Then, it happened again! Here is Jake after hauling in fish number three, the biggest of the those we boated yesterday.

Aaron wanted to change baits, so I set him up, but he only ever got bit once, and never hooked a fish. I feel bad. All I wanted from the outing was for him to catch a fish.

The story continues. I started alternating between my grub and the idle drop shot rig as we drifted across the flat in the breeze. My trolling motor wasn't working, so we had to use the drift sock. Anyway, on one drift, I get bit on the drop shot rig. It was a solid strike, and I was hooked to a really tough fish. The reel was spooled with 4 lb test, so I was being careful. Fortunately it was a light rod and that helped me get the fish up to the boat. When we saw him, we were shocked. The fish was at least five pounds, and the hook was right in the outside corner of the mouth. I told Aaron that as soon as I touched the fish, it was going to make a final effort to escape and it would either spit the hook or break the light line. Sure enough, when I reached down to lip the fish and bring it into the boat, it gave a final flip, broke the line, and slowly swam away. I really wanted Jake to have a photo op with that fish. I am sure I will replay that scene in my dreams for much of the upcoming season.

Aaron threw up his hands in disgust. I caught the fish of the day on the rig he had been fishing with but gave up on. All I can say is, he needs more practice.

Warm weather is coming. The fishing will only get better. I have to admit the afternoon exceeded my expectations.

Buboppy

No comments: