Wednesday, November 14, 2007

We did, but probably shouldn't have


I read a report on the internet that said the fish were still biting at Sand Hollow. We made arrangements with Beany and Jake to meet us there. It was a nice enough day, probably 70°, but the wind was steady when we arrived. I asked the ranger at the gate if the lake was in white caps, and he said, "just barely, and it settles right down when the wind stops blowing". Well, as I backed in to launch, I had a funny feeling I shouldn't but, hey, we were there, and I didn't want to spoil the fun. Bubby and Bean couldn't control the boat once I got it off of the trailer. Bubby doesn't know how to operate the engine, and somehow, she ended up driving. We had a wild ride out to our fishing grounds, once I got the boat underway, but as soon as we got in the lee of the hill, it was pretty nice. Jake still enjoyed bundling up in the wool blanket Bubb brought just for him.

Aaron caught the first fish, but we never got it landed. I only caught two, and here there are. The report said that only the small fish were being caught, but the first one would have gone two and one half pounds. Anyway, it was fun, as long as we stayed in the wind shadow of the hill.

Beany did hook a monster, but got excited and broke him off. I would have liked to see that fish. We started back in, as soon as the sun dipped under the hill. The ride back across the open lake was wet, and wild. I couldn't see because my glasses were all spotted with water. I thought as we trudged across, "this is nuts! I am not worried about the safety of any of the adults, but what if something happened to Jake?" I don't think I will do that again. After a little excitement, we were able to trailer the boat in the wind. All is well that ends well, because we finished off with dinner at Alberto's in Hurricane. The beans were awesome and the special was a carne asada burrito, beans and rice.

Buboppy

1 comment:

Dan said...

Buboppy,
You as well as anyone knows that you don't need an excuse to go fishing and I am sure that this will be one of Jake's fond memories for awhile. "member, that time we went fishing in the wind, Poppy?" It looked like fun. Tell Bean he needs to settle down.