Monday, March 10, 2008

Death Valley-The Ankle Day


After a cool, but quiet evening, we headed for Darwin Falls canyon, just west of Panamint Springs (where we saw our first over $5 per gallon gasoline). The group posed for a photo on our way up this beautiful desert canyon.

Just before I took this photo of the Bubb and the falls, I rolled my ankle for the second time during our hike. We were scrambling over rocks and they were wet and slippery. Before this morning was over, I had rolled my left ankle a total of three times. By the time I was able to get back to the vans, it was swollen the size of a large orange. With field trip activities to carry out, however, we didn't let that deter us. One of the participants had expertise in sports medicine, and with the help of a "rocket sock" we went on for fun. Unfortunately the rocket sock caused some severe blisters but you'll hear more about them later.

Bubby and I agreed to shuttle vans while the students hiked Golden Canyon from Zabriske Point to the valley floor. We had to gas up the vans, and stopped for a rest in the shade and had a cool drink while we waited for our hikers. The daytime temperatures were in the mid- to high-70's and the nights were in the high-40's low-50's, so conditions were ideal.

On our way back to camp we stopped at the Harmony Borax works to look at the strike-slip faults crossing the valley, and Bubby took lots of flower photos. These yellow composites were all over the place, and it was hard to resist taking their pictures.

Bubby also caught a candid photo of me with the long lens, and since I seldom post myself, I thought some of our faithful readers might enjoy the image, although I can't imagine why.

Buboppy

No comments: