Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Death Valley The Beginning


We had an uneventful departure on Thursday morning. We arrived in Pahrump NV to discover that spring had arrived. We have a traditional lunch stop we do in Pahrump and this year was not different. In the center of this park-like area is a duck pond, complete with ducks and geese. To our amazement, the gentleman in the photo above put on quite a display of goose love that was being reciprocated by the waterfowl. They moved along the bank and while the gentleman petted the gooses head and slipped it treats, the goose weaved in and out of his legs rubbing them like a cat. It was something to see.

Of course Bubby wanted her photo taken in the middle of spring blossoms, and I was happy to oblige. We had hoped that things would be nice for our trip, and the first day certainly lived up to our expectation.

We made a stop at a customary road cut so the students could look at a faulted vitrophere (a geologic feature) and I spent most of my time taking photographs of the wildflowers (more on that later).
We arrived in Death Valley without incident, and raced directly to our first-come-first-served campsite. There were lots of people in the park and I could see the competition was going to be real.

Buboppy

1 comment:

Daniel Roche said...

Hey Eves!!!! You were in Pahrump this month! I haven't seen any of you in a while, but I found your blog through Phil Cherry's blog (Our Cherry Tree).

I've been living in Pahrump for the past year, but we're moving to Carson City next week. If I'd have known you were coming through . . .

I don't know if anyone actually reads these comments, but if you do, drop me a line . . . dmroche@gmail.com

-Dan Roche